Types of Stars
This project teaches students about how astronomers classify stars and the link between atomic absorption lines and temperature.
Students warm up by looking for similarities and differences in stellar spectra. Then, they classify stars using two different
methods: by the strength of the H-alpha line (as the astronomers of the late 1800's did) and by temperature. Then questions help
students bridge the gap between line formation and temperature to understand the science that came from classifying stars.
- Overview gives a description of the project, its target audience, and
the concepts it teaches
- Background gives scientific background about the
project, including references, to help you answer student questions
- Lesson Plan gives all the information you will need to teach this
project in your classroom
- Teaching Tips gives specific advice on how to use each stage of the project
- Assessment gives ideas for evaluating student work
- Standards links this project to national science, math, and